George Ferguson the very wealthy owner of Tobacco Factory and sometime developer of the Elizabeth Fry Chocolate Factory/bits of the railway path (allegedly) is standing for Mayor.
He likes to claim he’s independent. He likes to claim he’s different. He wants to put Bristol first.
George dodged the question about his membership of Bristol Lib Dems for several weeks.
I’m left wondering what made George leave the Lib Dems?
- Axing the child trust fund? Nope.
- Betrayal on tuition fees? Nope.
- Attacks on the core principles of the NHS? Nope.
- Local cuts to bus subsidies leaving OAPs stranded? Nope
- Local hikes to meals on wheels charges announced at Xmas time? Nope
- Local plans to sell off parks and green spaces? Nope
- Local axing of the Council homecare service? Nope
- Being politically expedient in standing for electoral office… yeah that’ll do it.
Now George will protest his independence.
When he does protest his independence let’s remember this 2009 article in which he described himself as the “seed” of the 2009 electoral victories of the current administration.
He remained a Lib Dem through thick and thin. Now he wants you to vote for him and Lib Dems are low in the polls, he quits.
Just who is he trying to kid?